They say chicken soup is good for colds. . I believe it! I don’t know what it is (maybe the garlic?) but Chicken soup just helps me feel better when I’m starting to get sick or feel run down. . and I’m sorry but not the Campbell’s soup – still think there’s too much sodium there. Here’s a simple chicken soup recipe that anyone can make!
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL (My recipe)
- 1 whole chicken (I like the all vegetarian fed chickens from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 large onion, halved or chopped
- Water to cover
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 cloves Garlic (amount is up to you)
- 4 carrots, halved (optional)
- 4 stalks celery, halved (optional)
- Brown rice (to serve with if you’d like)
- Chives or green onions to serve (for color; optional)
- Chop up the garlic and onions (carrots and celery too if adding). Set aside.
- Cut the chicken up. PLASTIC GLOVES are a PLUS here so you don’t get gross stuff all over your hands and you can handle the bird. I opted not to post pics of me cutting up the poor thing. Cutting up the chicken helps the flavor of the soup and ensures the chicken cooks thoroughly and faster. You can just cut the wings and legs and then just leave the rest. Up to you.
- Put the vegetables and garlic in a large soup pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil.