In an effort to clean out the refrigerator and use up a lot of leftover vegetables, I threw this fave pasta dish together. But tonight, I ran out of tomatoes (thought I had more) and my husband suggested tomato paste, so I threw that in, along with more vegetables. . so voila! Fusilli Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms and Tomatoes (Take 2). My husband thinks this one tastes better. I certainly think the tomato paste helps to brighten up the dish. Hope you give this one a try!
FUSILLI PASTA WITH SPINACH, MUSHROOMS AND TOMATOES
- 1 lb Fusilli pasta
- 1/2 to 1 lb. of lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1 cup onion; chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper; chopped (whatever you have- red, orange, yellow)
- 1-2 cup of cherry tomatoes or roma or any tomato (add as much as you prefer)
- 2-4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1-2 cups of mushrooms (cremini or white mushrooms; whatever you have)
- Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and cut all of the vegetables; set aside
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, over medium high heat, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil and cook the ground beef.
- After the ground beef is browned and cooked, (feel free to disgard any fat; we do) add the chicken stock, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and all of the vegetables. (For the spinach, I literally just throw the entire bag straight in)
- Add the tomato paste, mix and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Gently toss ingredients together until the spinach is wilted and all of the vegetables are cooked through
- Add the pasta and gently toss some more
- Season with salt and pepper (again if needed)
- Sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese and serve! SERVE IMMEDIATELY