I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM! Don’t you just love how ice cream just makes everything better? 🙂 Had a bad day? Go out and treat yourself to some ice cream. Boyfriend or girlfriend dumped you via text or post-it note? Curl up with a pint (maybe 2) of Ben & Jerry’s. Some crazy driver cut you off and gave you the finger? Swing on over to McD’s and treat yourself to a vanilla cone (and don’t worry. Karma baby). Anyway, it’s no wonder why ice cream always seems to put a smile on people’s faces (especially kiddos).
Here’s just a simple recipe for ice cream sandwiches (with chocolate chip cookies) – one that the kids can assemble themselves! Thanks to Skinnytaste for the idea and post! Hope you give this one a try! Enjoy!
Ice Scream Sandwiches!!
For my homemade chocolate chip cookies, I have seriously always used the good ole’ Nestle Toll House recipe on the back of the chocolate morsels package.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chip morsels (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- Ice cream (whatever flavor/s you want!)
- Sprinkles (any kind)
Directions for the cookies
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chip morsels. (I’ve always mixed by hand because the softened butter helps to mix everything easily; there’s really no need to use a stand mixer if you don’t want to)
- Drop cookie dough (about a tablespoon) onto un-greased baking sheets.
- BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Assemble the cookies. .
- It’s really important that the cookies are completely cooled before you assemble the ice scream sandwiches. In fact, if you can wait, I made my cookies the day before and we assembled them the next day.
- It’s also very important that your ice cream is solid and really COLD.
- Pour your sprinkles on a plate or in a bowl (a plate is easier if you want to roll the cookie in the sprinkles)
- Grab 2 cookies, scoop some ice cream and place on one cookie (however much you want), place the other cookie on top and press together gently
- Sprinkle the sprinkles on your cookie with your fingers OR roll your cookie in the sprinkles on a plate (if you are making these for kids, let them do this part. IT’S FUN!)
- Throw the ice scream sandwiches in the freezer for about an hour (the longer, the better) . . . and then, ENJOY!