Galbi tang or short rib soup is what chicken soup is to Americans. There’s probably a handful of Korean soups that most Korean men or women know how to make and galbi tang is one of them. If you’re feeling sick, it’s a cold day or you just like the soup, galbi tang can be enjoyed anytime. You are basically making a beef broth. . most Koreans add radish, green onions, some add noodles and this soup goes great with a bowl of rice! My kids and I add the rice into the soup and eat it that way. A lot of Korean kids enjoy this soup alone with rice. This recipe takes some time, but it’s sure worth it!
Hope you give this one a try, enjoy!
Galbi Tang (Short Rib Soup)
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: Roughly 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lb Beef short ribs, cut into 1.5 to 2 inch squares (leave the bones in and cut in between so each piece has a bone)
- 1/2 to 1 large Korean radish or 2 Chinese white radishes, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 tsp salt
- 2-4 scallions or green onions, sliced into 1 inch pieces for the soup PLUS diced green onions for the topping at the end
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic (season to how much you like)
- 1 tsp finely ground pepper
- Optional seasoning if you want spicy: chili powder to taste
- 4 oz sweet potato or glass noodles (optional; I did not include noodles and served with rice)
* My mom likes to boil the ribs the night before so the soup can sit overnight and you can skim off any fat in the morning. If you have time to do this, it’s worth it.
- Soak the ribs in a bowl of cold water for about 1-2 hours to drain the blood, changing the water a of couple times.
- Place the ribs in a pot and cover with fresh water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer vigorously for about 5 minutes.*
- Remove ribs from pot and rinse any oil off in cold water.
- Slice the radish into thin slices and season with salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, cover the ribs with new, fresh water (enough water to cover the ribs) and add the sliced radish.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer over high heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced scallions (1 inch pieces) and cook for another 1 minute or 2. This step is optional.
- Serve with the diced green onion or scallions on top.
There are also galbi tang recipes that use soy sauce and additional seasoning. As you make this soup more and more, you will find the right mix of ingredients that you like so try experimenting with different seasoning.