Today was the hottest day we’ve had so far here in WA (high 80’s) since we moved back in mid-January. . . and we have no air conditioning. As I type, we have our portable fans going. . it’s a little warm right now, when there’s usually a nice breeze.
Anyway, I didn’t want to cook anything tonight PLUS I indulged and bought myself some Ben & Jerry’s so made this simple salad for dinner. I jut threw together what we had at home and here are 3 ways to make your own vinaigrette dressing:
- Basil vinaigrette, click here for ingredients and directions
- Cilantro vinaigrette, click here
- Just a simple vinaigrette. . I’m currently reading “Dinner, A Love Story” and LOVE it. Jenny makes a vinaigrette for a salmon salad that I used tonight and changed it up just a bit.
Spinach Salad with Strawberries
- fresh bagged spinach
- cherry tomatoes
- yellow or orange bell peppers (I would have loved to have used yellow ones for the color but didn’t have any so used orange)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I didn’t have any so used apple cider vinegar but had to splash some balsamic vinegar as well before I ate the salad)
- 2 teaspoons mustard (I used dijon)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Squeeze of fresh lemon or lime
- 1/2 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and chop all your veggies.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Season to taste with salt and black pepper if necessary. Pour on salad.